My good friend Jose shared this video with me earlier this week, and it’s like nothing I’ve ever seen before.
The whole performance is well worth your time, but click play on the video embedded below to listen to the second song in the set (Los Tontos) and then read below why I love this music so much.
- It’s a style of music I’m not accustomed do. I think we tend to form musical bubbles, just like we do with politics and culture, and it’s really healthy to step outside your comfort zone once in a while.
- I love how the percussion is all done with hand clapping.
- It immediately made me wonder “who are all these people?". Most of the people sitting at the table are famous musicians and producers in their own right. The guy sitting at the center of the table is C. Tangana, who is a popular Spanish rapper, though as you can see, he sings traditional music beautifully.
- The two singers behind the table on the right are C. Tangana’s mother and grandmother.
- The whole scene feels like a family singing and playing together. The joy in this room is palpable, and watching it elevates my spirits.
If you’re interested in learning more about Flemenco music, check out this additional video, also from Jose: